Navigations

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Internet
Hi - I just cut the cord last month. I got antennaes and got setup with Roku boxes, along with Sling TV (I probably would have gone with PlayStation Vue had my wife not insisted on the Hallmark Channel) and Netflix.  I was paying about $155 a month for Basic TV package, a Phone I didn't use, and 60 MBPS internet. As I was no longer in a bundle, they raised the price of the Internet to $59.99.  Now I just got a notice that they are going to raise it another $5 starting next month.

My concern is that as more and more people decide to cut the cord, they are just going to jack up their prices even more in order to make up for lost revenue.  I am fearful that I am not going to save nearly as much as I thought I would.  Since Charter has a local monopoly where I live, I don't have any other options.  Is there anything we can do to stop them from gouging people and forcing them to buy products they really don't want?

Shop around and don't be scared to switch between cable and DSL.

(01-31-2017, 08:51 PM)dapperrync Wrote: Hi - I just cut the cord last month. I got antennaes and got setup with Roku boxes, along with Sling TV (I probably would have gone with PlayStation Vue had my wife not insisted on the Hallmark Channel) and Netflix.  I was paying about $155 a month for Basic TV package, a Phone I didn't use, and 60 MBPS internet. As I was no longer in a bundle, they raised the price of the Internet to $59.99.  Now I just got a notice that they are going to raise it another $5 starting next month.

My concern is that as more and more people decide to cut the cord, they are just going to jack up their prices even more in order to make up for lost revenue.  I am fearful that I am not going to save nearly as much as I thought I would.  Since Charter has a local monopoly where I live, I don't have any other options.  Is there anything we can do to stop them from gouging people and forcing them to buy products they really don't want?

Same thing here. I had Charter for TV, Phone and Internet. Antenna was a backup but Directv Now came available for 35.00 so I canceled the TV with Charter and they went up on Internet. Charter explained it to me and also on my bill it shows a bundled price with triple service was one price with a drop in service Internet would go up. They tried to trick me into getting the Choice Selection for less but more than Directv Now so I will still save money even with higher internet.

(01-31-2017, 08:51 PM)dapperrync Wrote: Hi - I just cut the cord last month. I got antennaes and got setup with Roku boxes, along with Sling TV (I probably would have gone with PlayStation Vue had my wife not insisted on the Hallmark Channel) and Netflix.  I was paying about $155 a month for Basic TV package, a Phone I didn't use, and 60 MBPS internet. As I was no longer in a bundle, they raised the price of the Internet to $59.99.  Now I just got a notice that they are going to raise it another $5 starting next month.

1)  Do you have any competition in your area?  If yes, then I would shop around.  I did this recently with TWC / Spectrum.  Although I was an existing customer, they gave me the advertised price as I was truly willing to cancel.

2)  Take a look to see if there is a bundle (ex: Internet + Phone) which might suit you, and maybe even lower the price.