Navigations

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Table or HomeRun? or....Wait
I have been off the mega package of Directv for 6 months. In order to avoid a cancellation fee (contract) I was put into their basic family package. It is $45 per month with DVR. I'm going to dump that but want to get a at home DVR.

Did a little research on the TABLO and I hear that the UI can be sluggish when channel flipping. There isn't much I was able to find on Homerun on their UI.

I did the free trial for PS VUE but it does not give me all the locals for my area.

I am looking for some recommendations on what other set ups are. Oh and I have 2 roku sticks and an Apple TV GEN 4.

Cheers!
Jay

(01-09-2017, 09:44 AM)hopportunity82 Wrote: I have been off the mega package of Directv for 6 months. In order to avoid a cancellation fee (contract) I was put into their basic family package. It is $45 per month with DVR. I'm going to dump that but want to get a at home DVR.

Did a little research on the TABLO and I hear that the UI can be sluggish when channel flipping. There isn't much I was able to find on Homerun on their UI.

I did the free trial for PS VUE but it does not give me all the locals for my area.

I am looking for some recommendations on what other set ups are. Oh and I have 2 roku sticks and an Apple TV GEN 4.

Cheers!
Jay

I have both the Tablo and HDhomerun running on my network. I had the HDhomerun first and then purchased the Tablo. My biggest issue was that Microsoft no longer included Windows Media Center after Windows 8 Pro, and I needed that to use the HDhomerun.  I loved being able to pause, rewind, Fast Forward and record. It was fast and included a free tv guide. I decided to purchase a Tablo, 4 tuner because it works on a number of platforms.  I gravitated to Amazon Fire TV's, and now one Apple TV-4. I have always been disappointed with the speed of the Tablo app on the Fire TV's, but tolerated it because it gave me everything I wanted except fast channel surfing. No 5.1 sound though. I think the Kodi addon works better than the stand alone app for both Tablo and HDhomerun. I just received my "free" Apple TV for paying 3 months of service from Directv Now and what a difference it made with my Tablo set-up. Much faster than with the Fire TV. The only downside is that I cannot find an app for the HDhomerun for the Apple TV. When I have time, I'm going to do some research and see if there is anything I can do. Tablo also has some new products that they introduced at CES that look interesting. If Directv Now continues to improve like it has in the last couple of days (big glitch today though! Working great right now . . . ) I think I'll start feeling great with my decision to cancel my Xfinity cable. Time will tell

Thanks for the tips man.

Check out Channels on Apple TV. That's the app for hdhomerun

(01-13-2017, 06:03 PM)hopportunity82 Wrote: Thanks for the tips man.

Check out Channels on Apple TV. That's the app for hdhomerun

I'll give a try. Thanks

I purchased a TABLO on Amazon based on the semi good reviews it had. Unfortunately it was like going back in time as far as usability. I returned the TABLO back to Amazon since in my opinion it was outdated.
Next I tried out the TiVo Roamio and the difference was night and day. It worked out so good I added 3 TiVo minis for the other TVs.
The TiVo came with a lifetime subscription which covered the Minis too. Added DirectTV Now go big for $35 a month and I now save over $200 month from what I was paying DirectTV.
TiVo Roamio user usability is by far the best out at this time. TiVo searches Netflix, Amazon and your OTA channels at the same time for your results. Who else has a OTA box that can do that?
The TiVo does all my OTA recording and handles all other Netflix, Amazon apps. I haven't settled on the best way to record the DirectTvNow. They do have 72hr rewind but not on all channels. I also have the Playon ($40) recording software running to a external 5TB HD for downloading shows to iPhones/tablets and such.