Navigations

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What motivated you to Cut the Cord?
Hi,
For me, it was the unnecessary expense for a service that I thought I needed, but in reality it was just a waste of my time and money.
I am so much happier, richer and free from the cable company!

The primary reason for me was commercials.  They finally reached a point where with 30% or more of each show being ads, the immersion and entertainment value of one hour dramas and movies was totally ruined.  And it was not just the number of interruptions, it was also the type of commercials.  Once upon a time many commercials were actually entertaining.  Mostly deceptive, but more fun to watch.  These days you listen to all the side effects of the prescription drugs being recited while couples and families laugh and play on the screen.  Still deceptive, but not at all fun to watch.

While value was also a factor, overall cost was not.  Between Netflix (with DVDs), Amazon, Showtime and HBO, I am now paying almost exactly what I was paying Cox for expanded basic when I cut the cord in 2009.  The difference is now I watch 99% of my entertainment commercial free. That other 1% is for an occasional OTA broadcast (Football, local news, etc).

Even if the TV networks were to relent on their forced bundle packages and allow the cable companies to offer true a la carte, it would not impress me.  It's too late now.  I have become so spoiled by ad free entertainment and being able to binge watch that I'll never go back.

For me, it was the high satellite tv bill and the lack of channels that my wife and I watch. Not worth the cost anymore.

outrageous expense, $150 monthly, went wireless only (100mbs@$40 monthly thru Spectrum) with FTVbox and Kodi, every game, every race, every episode of every show.

It was a combination of two things which started it.

1 - Just tired of fighting with cable every 12 months or so to get a promotional price.

2 - Tired of looking at my bill every month so I could catch any changes which occurred without me being notified.

Now, we spend a ton less per month ($70 less), get almost everything we want, and I my stress level is lower.

(10-24-2016, 11:35 AM)rjdriver Wrote: The primary reason for me was commercials.  They finally reached a point where with 30% or more of each show being ads, the immersion and entertainment value of one hour dramas and movies was totally ruined.  And it was not just the number of interruptions, it was also the type of commercials.  Once upon a time many commercials were actually entertaining.  Mostly deceptive, but more fun to watch.  These days you listen to all the side effects of the prescription drugs being recited while couples and families laugh and play on the screen.  Still deceptive, but not at all fun to watch.

While value was also a factor, overall cost was not.  Between Netflix (with DVDs), Amazon, Showtime and HBO, I am now paying almost exactly what I was paying Cox for expanded basic when I cut the cord in 2009.  The difference is now I watch 99% of my entertainment commercial free. That other 1% is for an occasional OTA broadcast (Football, local news, etc).

Even if the TV networks were to relent on their forced bundle packages and allow the cable companies to offer true a la carte, it would not impress me.  It's too late now.  I have become so spoiled by ad free entertainment and being able to binge watch that I'll never go back.

try KODI, every episode of every tv show ever made, commercial free and on-demand, every movie ever made, from silent era to in-theater, free, gratis, no monthly fee other than the wifi you'd have anyway.

I cut the cord several years ago. What started it all was actually a mistake that turned out to be a happy thing!

It all started when I used my tax refund one year to upgrade an old SD rear-projection TV to a new 55" Samsung high def LCD. I also bought a new TiVo Premiere to upgrade my TiVo Series 2, and that's where things went bad. The TIVo Premiere no longer had IR Blasters to control my cable box! At that time I was using AT&T's UVerse TV, and the Series 2 TiVo could change channels on the Uverse box via the IR blaster to record programs. The TiVo Premiere couldn't.

I had an old TV antenna on the chimney left over from the days when I had a Dish Network system, but before local channels were available via satellite. I hooked my TiVo Premiere to the TV antenna and it worked great! I also had the UVerse DVR .. but I realized after several months that I **rarely** was watching anything other than programs recorded on my TiVo...which were coming in FREE off the antenna!

After a couple of months of pondering what life would be like without cable channels such as SciFi, The Weather Channel, CNN, etc. I decided to cut back the Uverse tier to the bare minimum. Then after another couple of months I realized that I rarely, if ever, tuned to a Uverse cable channel....so I held my breath and cancelled the UVerse TV subscription. (I still use UVerse for my internet.)

That was back in 2011. Four years ago in 2012 I upgraded to a newer house and called in a local antenna guy to install an attic antenna in my "new" house. I spent about $400 on a professional  install and made sure I had a solid, reliable signal on all the channels. The cost of the install was paid back in savings in just a few months so it was worth having a professional come in to do it.

Sure, I have to go to a sports bar occasionally to catch our local college basketball games...but hey, that's a heck of a lot more fun than sitting at home anyway! I can afford to do that with the money I save by not paying a cable tv bill.

I really don't feel like I've missed anything at all...except the high monthly bills! I've got a TiVo Roamio and my TiVO Premiere in operation and I have more recorded content sitting on their hard drives than I can possibly watch. With Netflix and Amazon Prime I get to watch most of the things I used to enjoy from cable...like HGTV programs, etc.

Cutting the cord is a matter of setting some priorities and understanding the advantages and disadvantages of not having traditional cable TV channels. For me, the advantages FAR outweight the disadvantages!  Smile
2015-Roamio Basic
2012-TiVo Stream
2012- Premiere #2
2011- Premiere #1 (not currently in use - powered off for now.)
2011-Slingbox Solo
2005-Series 2 DRT800 (for VHS->DVD)
2000-Series 1 Philips (Retired)
(All Lifetime) OTA ONLY

For my family it was all about lowering our bills and paying off the credit cards. Now its all about how much more content we can watch with out ads...

Thumbs Up 
I just "cut the cord" once again this past week.  About 7 years ago, I experimented with this shortly after I bought my first TiVo and dropped my DirecTV service.  I also put an antenna in my attic (was easier for me to do this by myself as opposed to trying to mount it outside).  I thought it was "cool" to get channels over the air without cable.  Eventually I decided that I wanted cable again,  and my kids watched things like Disney Channel, Discovery, NatGeo, etc.  I also watch NHL, NFL and Big10 Football.

Fast-forward 7 years: my family almost always watches Netflix, rarely do they watch anything on cable.   I also have AmazonPrime so we watch content there.  I decided I was paying for hundreds of channels that we never watch.  So, my first step was to port out my home phone number from FiOS to a refurbished Ooma Telos device with basic service.  I was seriously ready to completely get rid of the home phone number, but decided to keep it for just a little while longer.  Then I went to a FiOS internet-only plan.  I re-aimed the antenna and bought a pre-amp to help stabilize my local Fox station which worked perfectly.  Although I didn't "cut the cord" primarily to save money, I am paying about $70 less per month then I was.   Pretty cool!

It is a little strange to look at the TiVo guide and see a much smaller selection of channels.  However, the number of ways to get content has expanded so much in the past several years: I get NFLNetwork on my phone since I'm with Verizon.  I watched my NHL team play the other night on NHL.tv on my PS3 (it was a free game).  Of course, if I really want content, I see now I can easily add and drop services like Sling or PSVue without any long-term commitment.  I found up-to-date NFL Network content free on YouTube.  There is so much content available! Bottom line: I cut the cord because we were paying for channels that we weren't watching.

This week I also found this Cord Cutters News website, and so I figured I'd join.  I'm already finding the news content informative, and I look forward to being a part of the forum.
TiVo Roamio
TiVo Premiere XL
PS3
Located in: Northern Delaware

DirecTV Satellite was charging us like $160 per month (4 DirecTV boxes). I figured it would be cheaper to buy 4 Roku sticks (it was)....I later got 2 Amazon Firesticks to add on other stuff.

If my wife wanted local TV, I simply got 4 TV antennas (Mohu Leafs). I have been happy with my decision I made almost 2 years ago (wish I had  done it sooner).

Guess what I bought other family members for Christmas? Yep, Roku sticks and Fire sticks....made My mom and other family members Cord Cutters also.