Navigations

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mohu Channels for $39.97
Just in case someone was interested.

https://www.yugster.com/deals/68350-mohu...hdmi-cable

Wow that dropped in price quickly...

It's a discontinued product so buy at your own risk.
It doesn't look like it really got past the Kickstarter round.

I would not be surprised if Mohu came out with a Channels 2 but had a built in DVR. If it had a DVR now it would have been a much bigger deal.

(10-14-2015, 08:34 PM)Luke Wrote: I would not be surprised if Mohu came out with a Channels 2 but had a built in DVR. If it had a DVR now it would have been a much bigger deal.

It's surprising what the manufactures keep making.  If they'd just listen on the forums and to the customers, they would have a successful product.  As much as I like Hulu and OTA, there are times that I miss a DVR.  Being able to pause live TV, or rewind something that you missed.

You should check out Tablo, Tivio, or Channel Master they are all great OTA DVRs.

(10-15-2015, 10:12 AM)Luke Wrote: You should check out Tablo, Tivio, or Channel Master they are all great OTA DVRs.

The cost of those products is my primary reason for not getting them.  Channel Master is the one I was considering because it didn't have any subscription but the box is expensive, one can't [easily] move the content into Plex or other standalone media platforms, and it only does broadcast TV.

TiVo is nice, but the subscription costs are way out of bounds.

I haven't looked much at Tablo.

Honestly I think that we need a clearing house for content.

Cost is a issue but the great thing about buying one of those boxes is it is a one time cost. Cable DVRs are $120 a year! Yikes!

So I have some cafeterias if I'm going to use an OTA DVR.
1. 4+ tuner support
2. Multi-room/multi-viewing support
3. Wife and Kids Acceptance Factor
4. Decent storage (or upgrade-able)
5. Monthly costs has to be less than Hulu + CBS AA

Channel Master doesn't meet the 4 tuner, nor multi-viewing conditions. So its not an option.

Tablo, $500+ (4 tuner with lifetime subscription, plus external storage).
- It supports any size storage
- Can record 4 shows at once/can stream up to 6 at once
- Can work with my existing Rokus and FireTV devices
- Gives a consistent experience across all TVs.
- Just not sure about "Wife/Kid Acceptance Factor" and I question Tablo's tuner signal quality.
- Break even point compared to streaming is about 2 years.

TiVo wasn't an option until recently. I wasn't going to spend $1350 for it. ($300+ for TiVo +$600 for Service Plan, + $450 for 3 TiVo Minis.) But now that there is a Fire TV app, that makes it more reasonable. My current TiVo configuration would be about $530.
- TiVo Roamio OTA HD with Lifetime Subscription ($300)
- TiVo Stream adapter ($130)
- 2 additional Fire TV Sticks ($100) - Would be $0 if TiVo release Roku app
- Break even point with Hulu/CBS is about 2 1/2 years.

I still doubt the wife/kids acceptance factor. On the FireTV, you currently can't watch Live TV, and I question the TiVo's OTA signal quality. I had a TiVo Premier, but it's tuner wouldn't pick up the same channels that my TV did.

So I go back to my original point, the manufacturers don't listen to customer's needs, and for now we use Hulu and the new CBS & NBC Roku channels, but we greatly miss the "DVR Experience".

Check out the Tablo I have two children and a wife and we all use it on the Fire TV. It was shaky at first but the app has improved greatly in the past 6 months. The other awesome thing is once you pay the 150 lifetime subscription you can upgrade to any device and transfer it to the new device for no charge.
My Setup

Omni-Directional Antenna, Tablo TV w 3TB Drive, & Fire TV Boxes with Kodi & Plex x 6

[Image: 28851.png][Image: 42311.png]