Navigations

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change out to RG6
My house is wired with what I think is RG5 that was installed by cable provider at least 20 years ago.  Planning to install HD antenna in the attic and connect to 3 TV's via coax.  I have not tested existing coax but I do not think it would be a difficult task to pull new RG6.  Suggestions.  Thanks very much.

(12-05-2017, 12:25 PM)bawood3 Wrote: My house is wired with what I think is RG5 that was installed by cable provider at least 20 years ago.  Planning to install HD antenna in the attic and connect to 3 TV's via coax.  I have not tested existing coax but I do not think it would be a difficult task to pull new RG6.  Suggestions.  Thanks very much.

odds are you have RG59, that was the predecessor to RG6, as for using the old cable to pull the new depends entirely on the installer that ran the original cable, if the cable was installed when the house was built it may be secured to the framing, if it was run after the fact then you may be able to do it, if the cable is loose what I would do is take a "type f inline coupler" and use it to screw the end of the old wire to the new wire then wrap the connection with like electrical tape, the reason for this is there is likely some place in the wall where the cable goes through a whole cut in a stud, you want it to be able to slide through that hole and you are more likely to achieve this by having the cables inline with each other.