Navigations

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using an Antenna Preamplifier with two antennas
Has anyone ever used an Antenna Preamplifier with two antennas going through a combiner?  

Here's my setup.  I have two antennas.  One pointed to a relatively close transmitter in Toronto.  And a second pointed in a different direction to more distant signals in Buffalo allowing me to get both Canadian and US stations.  I should also note that the runs in my house are relatively long.  The two antennas are located in the attic each with a separate cable that runs down to the basement.  Here I join them with a combiner and then into a 4-Port Distribution Amplifier that feeds TVs throughout the house.   This was necessary since all the cable lines in the house run down to a central input station in the basement.  It works well for most stations.

The problem is that some of the US stations such as NBC and FOX don't always come in clearly so I'm toying with the idea of getting an Antenna Preamplifier.  I just don't know where to properly place it.  Does it go after the output of the combiner thus feeding up to both antennas?  Or do I place it before one of the inputs running up to only the antenna that needs it?  Or would the signal be more balanced if I had a separate Preamplifier for each antenna? 

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

(11-01-2017, 12:12 PM)srasic Wrote: Has anyone ever used an Antenna Preamplifier with two antennas going through a combiner?  

Here's my setup.  I have two antennas.  One pointed to a relatively close transmitter in Toronto.  And a second pointed in a different direction to more distant signals in Buffalo allowing me to get both Canadian and US stations.  I should also note that the runs in my house are relatively long.  The two antennas are located in the attic each with a separate cable that runs down to the basement.  Here I join them with a combiner and then into a 4-Port Distribution Amplifier that feeds TVs throughout the house.   This was necessary since all the cable lines in the house run down to a central input station in the basement.  It works well for most stations.

The problem is that some of the US stations such as NBC and FOX don't always come in clearly so I'm toying with the idea of getting an Antenna Preamplifier.  I just don't know where to properly place it.  Does it go after the output of the combiner thus feeding up to both antennas?  Or do I place it before one of the inputs running up to only the antenna that needs it?  Or would the signal be more balanced if I had a separate Preamplifier for each antenna? 

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

I've been cable free for 2 years and I love it still!

You are on the mark with installing dual antennas, the combiner should be at the antenna location with one single down wire to the basement to the booster, just make sure you install the booster at the end of the antenna run but before the splitter inside your house or basement.

This one worked well for me:

Electroline EDA2100 Bi-Directional Signal Booster
The antenna coax connects to the booster and the booster connects to your splitter, 3 way,6 way
So the boosted antenna signal feeds the splitter and the cables going to your TV sets.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)