Navigations

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OTTers - how much data are you using?
Hi everyone-

I'm curious how much data people are using.  I signed up for DirectTV Now a couple of weeks ago.  I'm using Apple TVs as my device.  My family probably streams a combined total of 7 hours of TV every day for our multiple TVs.  After one week of usage, we've used 278 GB of data.

I was on Verizon Fios until last week.  I'm lucky to have both Fios and Comcast XFinity available- and I have both the fiber and coax into my basement- it is really easy to switch back and forth.  Verizon wouldn't give me their $39.99 rate for 50 MB/s service when I dropped TV - it is only for new users for one year.  They were going to charge me $85/month.  I had switched to Fios from Comcast last spring.  Comcast has 25 MB/s service for $39.99 for one year for new users, so I switched back to Comcast.  But, Comcast has a 1 TB data limit.  Verizon (currently) has no data limit.  Through a chat with a Comcast support person, they said I won't get charged for data overage for the first three months.  After the three months they charge $10 per 10 GB over the 1 TB cap, unless I want to pay a $50 fee per month for unlimited data.

So, it looks like I'm going to be using more than 1 TB of data- which I'm surprised it is that much.  I am not doing any 4K video from Netflix, Amazon etc.  Is 250 GB of data per week fairly normal or might I perhaps have some issue?

Thankfully the Verizon "new user" clause is not stringent-  I asked when I could sign back up to get their $39.99 rate and he said anytime.  So I'll have to do that before my first three months have gone by with Comcast.  An annoying game to play, but it's worth it to save $45 per month!

One interesting note- we seem to have no problem streaming TV to two Apple TVs and another show to an iPad on 25 Mb/s Comcast service.  I was worried it wasn't enough bandwidth but it is.  I'm sure if we started doing 4K that might be a problem- but so far I have no plans to purchase a 4K TV.

Thanks for any feedback on "normal" OTT data usage.

We used 50 gigs a day during Bowl season using PSvue,Youtubetv and watch espn.  We used 500 gigs for the month  of Dec. while trying out apps. We are concerened if using full time we will hit the 1 terabyte limit set by comcast (xfinity).

(01-01-2018, 12:46 PM)Patrikc325 Wrote: We used 50 gigs a day during Bowl season using PSvue,Youtubetv and watch espn.  We used 500 gigs for the month  of Dec. while trying out apps. We are concerened if using full time we will hit the 1 terabyte limit set by comcast (xfinity).

I ended up switching back to Fios (which doesn't have a limit.)  For October and November, we were in the mid 900 GBs of data.  With my kids and wife (teacher) being off from school for 11 days for the holidays, I knew we would blow through 1 TB for December- so I switched us back to Fios on the 22nd.

I feel for those with a data cap.

I only get $40 per month for Internet for Fios for 1 year.  Then it goes to $80.  I'll probably switch us back to Comcast for a month or two every year so that I can stay on the new user rate.  An annoyance, but worth it.

(01-01-2018, 02:23 PM)LrngToFly Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 12:46 PM)Patrikc325 Wrote: We used 50 gigs a day during Bowl season using PSvue,Youtubetv and watch espn.  We used 500 gigs for the month  of Dec. while trying out apps. We are concerened if using full time we will hit the 1 terabyte limit set by comcast (xfinity).

I ended up switching back to Fios (which doesn't have a limit.)  For October and November, we were in the mid 900 GBs of data.  With my kids and wife (teacher) being off from school for 11 days for the holidays, I knew we would blow through 1 TB for December- so I switched us back to Fios on the 22nd.

I feel for those with a data cap.

I only get $40 per month for Internet for Fios for 1 year.  Then it goes to $80.  I'll probably switch us back to Comcast for a month or two every year so that I can stay on the new user rate.  An annoyance, but worth it.

SO glad I don't have a data cap, I know there have been months out there where I went through multiple terabytes of data when I needed to redownload a bunch of lost files or some new video games (that are like 50-60GB each these days), I think data caps should be allowed on home networks.