Navigations

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions welcome- about to cut the cord!
Hi all-

Suburban Philadelphia area (S Jersey) getting ready to cut cable ties with Verizon after many years. We have 3 TVs, 2 DVR and 3 set top boxes. 
We are already subscribed to Netflix and are Amazon Prime members, so we also have access to Amazon Prime video. A little nervous as messing with my cable and hook ups is not my favorite thing to do and if I screw it up, I hope I can figure out how to un-do my mistakes.. 

My first step is to by an antenna and see how (and if) it works for my local channels on each of the TV sets (none are "smart" TVs, 2 are HDTV)

I'm not an expert on cable/tv/wiring issues- I have located a splitter that Verizon put in to run the 3 cable lines- it's in my garage
I know that splitting the antenna will weaken the signal, so I'm planning to buy an antenna with an amplifier.

Q1-  If I try to hook up the antenna in my garage using the splitter, how exactly does the antenna get "attached" to the TV sets..? Can I simply leave the cable line in the TV...? or would I have to make a change in cables or attachments in each set? If it's a hassle, I will just buy three antennas and that will be that...

I'm interested in hearing some updated opinions on streaming services. I have read up on changes and new to the market services back in late July/August, but it seems that the services are constantly changing and adding content. 

I'm reviewing all the services, Hulu, Sling, DirectTV, etc etc.... I am very interested in the YouTube TV, that seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for and still adding content. Our family watches a lot of DVR or saved TV show episodes, and I watch a lot of sports (only rational choice when Dance Moms and Cupcake Wars are constantly on...)

Q2- How has the YouTube TV experience been? How about FuboTV for sports? We don't need HBO (but will take it if included) or SHO, Epix etc... 

Q3-  In general, what should I look out for that may be unexpected in terms of set up issues? 

Thanks for your thoughts

(10-10-2017, 11:48 AM)Zdonk Wrote: Hi all-

Suburban Philadelphia area (S Jersey) getting ready to cut cable ties with Verizon after many years. We have 3 TVs, 2 DVR and 3 set top boxes. 
We are already subscribed to Netflix and are Amazon Prime members, so we also have access to Amazon Prime video. A little nervous as messing with my cable and hook ups is not my favorite thing to do and if I screw it up, I hope I can figure out how to un-do my mistakes.. 

My first step is to by an antenna and see how (and if) it works for my local channels on each of the TV sets (none are "smart" TVs, 2 are HDTV)

I'm not an expert on cable/tv/wiring issues- I have located a splitter that Verizon put in to run the 3 cable lines- it's in my garage
I know that splitting the antenna will weaken the signal, so I'm planning to buy an antenna with an amplifier.

Q1-  If I try to hook up the antenna in my garage using the splitter, how exactly does the antenna get "attached" to the TV sets..? Can I simply leave the cable line in the TV...? or would I have to make a change in cables or attachments in each set? If it's a hassle, I will just buy three antennas and that will be that...

I'm interested in hearing some updated opinions on streaming services. I have read up on changes and new to the market services back in late July/August, but it seems that the services are constantly changing and adding content. 

I'm reviewing all the services, Hulu, Sling, DirectTV, etc etc.... I am very interested in the YouTube TV, that seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for and still adding content. Our family watches a lot of DVR or saved TV show episodes, and I watch a lot of sports (only rational choice when Dance Moms and Cupcake Wars are constantly on...)

Q2- How has the YouTube TV experience been? How about FuboTV for sports? We don't need HBO (but will take it if included) or SHO, Epix etc... 

Q3-  In general, what should I look out for that may be unexpected in terms of set up issues? 

Thanks for your thoughts

Hi Zdonk,
I've been cable free for 2 years and I love it still!
You are on the mark with installing an outdoor antenna, just make sure you install the booster at the end of the antenna run but before the splitter inside your house or basement.
This one worked well for me:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F3...UTF8&psc=1
The antenna coax connects to the booster and the booster connects to your splitter, 3 way,6 way.
So the boosted antenna signal feeds the splitter and the cables going to your TV sets.

Good luck and enjoy all the channels, we receive 47.