Navigations

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions welcome- about to cut the cord!
Hi all-

Suburban Philadelphia area (S Jersey) getting ready to cut cable ties with Verizon after many years. We have 3 TVs, 2 DVR and 3 set top boxes. 
We are already subscribed to Netflix and are Amazon Prime members, so we also have access to Amazon Prime video. A little nervous as messing with my cable and hook ups is not my favorite thing to do and if I screw it up, I hope I can figure out how to un-do my mistakes.. 

My first step is to by an antenna and see how (and if) it works for my local channels on each of the TV sets (none are "smart" TVs, 2 are HDTV)

I'm not an expert on cable/tv/wiring issues- I have located a splitter that Verizon put in to run the 3 cable lines- it's in my garage
I know that splitting the antenna will weaken the signal, so I'm planning to buy an antenna with an amplifier.

Q1-  If I try to hook up the antenna in my garage using the splitter, how exactly does the antenna get "attached" to the TV sets..? Can I simply leave the cable line in the TV...? or would I have to make a change in cables or attachments in each set? If it's a hassle, I will just buy three antennas and that will be that...

I'm interested in hearing some updated opinions on streaming services. I have read up on changes and new to the market services back in late July/August, but it seems that the services are constantly changing and adding content. 

I'm reviewing all the services, Hulu, Sling, DirectTV, etc etc.... I am very interested in the YouTube TV, that seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for and still adding content. Our family watches a lot of DVR or saved TV show episodes, and I watch a lot of sports (only rational choice when Dance Moms and Cupcake Wars are constantly on...)

Q2- How has the YouTube TV experience been? How about FuboTV for sports? We don't need HBO (but will take it if included) or SHO, Epix etc... 

Q3-  In general, what should I look out for that may be unexpected in terms of set up issues? 

Thanks for your thoughts

(10-10-2017, 11:48 AM)Zdonk Wrote: Hi all-

Suburban Philadelphia area (S Jersey) getting ready to cut cable ties with Verizon after many years. We have 3 TVs, 2 DVR and 3 set top boxes. 
We are already subscribed to Netflix and are Amazon Prime members, so we also have access to Amazon Prime video. A little nervous as messing with my cable and hook ups is not my favorite thing to do and if I screw it up, I hope I can figure out how to un-do my mistakes.. 

My first step is to by an antenna and see how (and if) it works for my local channels on each of the TV sets (none are "smart" TVs, 2 are HDTV)

I'm not an expert on cable/tv/wiring issues- I have located a splitter that Verizon put in to run the 3 cable lines- it's in my garage
I know that splitting the antenna will weaken the signal, so I'm planning to buy an antenna with an amplifier.

Q1-  If I try to hook up the antenna in my garage using the splitter, how exactly does the antenna get "attached" to the TV sets..? Can I simply leave the cable line in the TV...? or would I have to make a change in cables or attachments in each set? If it's a hassle, I will just buy three antennas and that will be that...

I'm interested in hearing some updated opinions on streaming services. I have read up on changes and new to the market services back in late July/August, but it seems that the services are constantly changing and adding content. 

I'm reviewing all the services, Hulu, Sling, DirectTV, etc etc.... I am very interested in the YouTube TV, that seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for and still adding content. Our family watches a lot of DVR or saved TV show episodes, and I watch a lot of sports (only rational choice when Dance Moms and Cupcake Wars are constantly on...)

Q2- How has the YouTube TV experience been? How about FuboTV for sports? We don't need HBO (but will take it if included) or SHO, Epix etc... 

Q3-  In general, what should I look out for that may be unexpected in terms of set up issues? 

Thanks for your thoughts

Hi Zdonk,
I've been cable free for 2 years and I love it still!
You are on the mark with installing an outdoor antenna, just make sure you install the booster at the end of the antenna run but before the splitter inside your house or basement.
This one worked well for me:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F3...UTF8&psc=1
The antenna coax connects to the booster and the booster connects to your splitter, 3 way,6 way.
So the boosted antenna signal feeds the splitter and the cables going to your TV sets.

Good luck and enjoy all the channels, we receive 47.

(10-10-2017, 11:48 AM)Zdonk Wrote: Hi all-

Thanks for your thoughts

You make make it real simple. Buy a Tigerstream TV box and stream in your content using your existing internet connection. You can access local, national, and international programing. You buy the box via a one time feee and pay nothing monthly. Its simple too to set up and operate daily (grillmycablebill)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

if your house has what is refereed to by those in the business as a "Home Run" (a location where every Coax Cable run in the house comes to) like if you had Cable before it's the location where the main cable line from outside came in and gets split to all the other connections in the house, you would install your splitter there (be sure to get one for "HDTV's" older splitters you may have laying around, depending on the age of your house, may not have enough of a frequency range to work well with the frequencies used by digital broadcasts, from there install the OUTPUT of the splitter to the lines running to the different rooms and connect the Antenna to the input, the ONLY time you should use multiple antennas is if you have "rabbit ear's" at each TV location, you should NOT be using multiple larger antennas for separate TV's thats just spending money you don't need to spend and a lot more hassle in the long run.

in terms of setting up a streaming service you will quickly find each service has a "best device" and a "worst device" and what is the worst device on 1 service can be the best device (or even the ONLY device) supported by another service (like how Philo currently only works on Roku and Roku is the WORST device, aside from older devices like the first gen Fire Stick and PS3, for Playstation Vue), I suggest starting with suppose.tv and use that to determine what is the cheapest service with all the channels you require and supports enough streams for your family and has the DVR you need and go from there to find the best device for that service.

@grillmycablebill please stop suggesting people to buy a box that is giving them access to ILLEGAL STREAMS, I'm pretty sure the types of addons preinstalled on that box violate the rules of this site, if you REALLY want those Kodi addon's they can be added to any device that supports the Kodi app and won't be some shady china made fake "Android TV" android box, boxes like that always end up burning the user in the long run when the illegal sites they access get shutdown and you are left with a box that is worthless for running the legitimate LEGAL streaming apps like Vue, Sling and anything else that is on Android TV that checks to make sure you aren't using a rooted device.