Navigations

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you help me get started with possible cord cutting?
Question 
Hello everyone! I live in an apartment complex which is one of many owned by a property management company. They do not offer the choice any of the major local cable or satellite providers; rather, they use a subset of channels powered by Dish Network (there are satellite dishes on the property). We don't get cable boxes, digital content, DVR capability, or other benefits many of the big names offer.

Even though the service is relatively cheap, I'm annoyed with the quality of many of the channel broadcasts, the outages or even random replacement of channels I like with others, and of course not being able to record anything - I'm a busy person and it's not possible to rearrange my life due to program schedules.

What would you recommend I look into? What works best for you?  I've looked into Sling TV and Roku but none of them have all the channels I want, and I don't ask for much...some of my must haves include AMC and Comedy Central. One big omission from Sling TV seems to be Discovery Network channels and while I could live without them, I wish I didn't have to.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. If a missed a link to a thread with all of these questions already answered, my apologies!

AprilChild17

"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?" ~ Abraham Lincoln

I've been a cord cutter for 3 months.   I've been pleased with PS Vue powered by Amazon Fire Stick.  I tried Sling and but was too much like satellite with the same attitude that chased me from them. Hulu was good just lacking some of my local channels.  If they appear in Hulu I'll seriously consider going back.  Use all the free trials and check out their variety of channels through each web site.  Cord cutter news been extremely helpful in getting me started streaming.  Good luck.  By the way I spent about 2 month researching all providers with the help of Cord Cutters News

(09-28-2017, 06:35 PM)MailmanRC Wrote: I've been a cord cutter for 3 months.   I've been pleased with PS Vue powered by Amazon Fire Stick.  I tried Sling and but was too much like satellite with the same attitude that chased me from them. Hulu was good just lacking some of my local channels.  If they appear in Hulu I'll seriously consider going back.  Use all the free trials and check out their variety of channels through each web site.  Cord cutter news been extremely helpful in getting me started streaming.  Good luck.  By the way I spent about 2 month researching all providers with the help of Cord Cutters News

Thank you for your reply!  Good idea, doing the free trials  Smile

AprilChild17

"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?" ~ Abraham Lincoln

You should start off with the basics. Do a little research on a television antenna. Get that hooked up and ready to roll. You can even do this while you have your cable subscription. I'll assume you have an internet connection so the next step would be to select a streaming device. The 4 major ones are Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku and Google Chromecast. The first three are really easy to use and the Chromecast has the advantage that it is inexpensive. Read up on these streaming devices, select the one that fits your lifestyle and budget. Then once you have the basics you might want to look into a DVR device for your antenna. There are computer cards and USB devices that cat record Over-The-Air (OTA) programming and allow you to watch later. If you have a spare computer not doing anything you can look into Plex software which will allow you to watch you recorded shows just about anywhere.

Hope this helps!

You should check out our Cord Cutting 101 guide here: http://cordcuttersnews.com/cord-cutting-...7-edition/