Cord Cutters News Forums
Internet without cable - Printable Version

+- Cord Cutters News Forums (http://cordcuttingforums.com)
+-- Forum: General Talk (http://cordcuttingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (http://cordcuttingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Internet without cable (/showthread.php?tid=20)

Internet without cable - Brindlecat - 10-17-2015

About 6 years ago I started using ClearWire, now known as Clear. It was purchased by Sprint and Sprint is now ending it.  In a few weeks I will be without an internet connection.  Three years ago I cancelled Comcast TV service and bought an indoor digital antenna, and have been mostly  satisfied with over-the-air broadcast plus Netflix and Amazon.  Without an internet connection, I won't have access to Netflix or Amazon.  For several weeks, I have been trying to find a new internet provider that is NOT Comcast.  In my town, Frontier and Comcast are the 2 cable providers, but Frontier has told me that I am not in their service area, or whatever phrase it is that means that Comcast has a monopoly on condos and apartments.

My question is:  How do I get internet coverage for $50 a month or less, that doesn't severely limit data usage so that I can email, go online, and stream movies a few times a week? How many mbps would I need (I don't really understand that term)?  I am the only user in my household and I am not into internet games.  I've avoided buying a smart phone, just have a regular flip phone. If I got a smart phone and a tablet, would that combo give me the internet access I am seeking? Apologies for not being tech savvy; I don't know all the terms.  And thank you.

RE: Internet without cable - Luke - 10-17-2015

Have you called your local phone company to see what their DSL options are?

RE: Internet without cable - Brindlecat - 10-18-2015

I have called every company who offers internet services. I only have a cell phone from Sprint, so not sure who is local phone company. I think either Frontier or Century Link is, and they both said they "don't serve my area." In one case--Frontier--that means they don't serve multi-family homes, because I know people who live very near me who have Frontier. But they live in one-family homes.

RE: Internet without cable - Luke - 10-18-2015

You may have to go with your cable company. I have my internet with Comcast right now and have been happy with it. They will keep trying to sell you TV making claims it is cheaper but over the long run internet only is always cheaper.

RE: Internet without cable - BradClarkston - 10-18-2015

If it's the xfinity packages the standard $30 25 Mbps subscription should be more than enough for you.
Yes they will try to up-sell you to a bundle deal but just ignore it, don't fall of the standard "it's a free upgrade for 6 months" deals.

Honestly every provider throttles users if they get out of hand. I'm a big user and I've never hit a limit or throttle with average use and we have two XBone's running together playing at the same time while my wife watches streaming tv.

RE: Internet without cable - remit860 - 10-29-2015

van servicing

RE: Internet without cable - VinceM - 11-04-2015

Check for Earthlink cable in your area. We were with Time-Warner and when I cut the cable, they dropped minimal at best. Only other option was Earthlink cable (until Google Fiber comes to Raleigh next year). Switched to Earthlink Cable (which uses Time-Warner's facilities) $39.95 for 20Mbps for 6 months, then $51.95. Should hold me until Google rolls out.

RE: Internet without cable - NHpro - 01-08-2018

(10-17-2015, 06:32 PM)Brindlecat Wrote: About 6 years ago I started using ClearWire, now known as Clear. It was purchased by Sprint and Sprint is now ending it.  In a few weeks I will be without an internet connection.  Three years ago I cancelled Comcast TV service and bought an indoor digital antenna, and have been mostly  satisfied with over-the-air broadcast plus Netflix and Amazon.  Without an internet connection, I won't have access to Netflix or Amazon.  For several weeks, I have been trying to find a new internet provider that is NOT Comcast.  In my town, Frontier and Comcast are the 2 cable providers, but Frontier has told me that I am not in their service area, or whatever phrase it is that means that Comcast has a monopoly on condos and apartments.

My question is:  How do I get internet coverage for $50 a month or less, that doesn't severely limit data usage so that I can email, go online, and stream movies a few times a week? How many mbps would I need (I don't really understand that term)?  I am the only user in my household and I am not into internet games.  I've avoided buying a smart phone, just have a regular flip phone. If I got a smart phone and a tablet, would that combo give me the internet access I am seeking? Apologies for not being tech savvy; I don't know all the terms.  And thank you.

DSL from the phone company is going to be your only other option. I can't recommend satellite.

Comcast is EVIL.

RE: Internet without cable - michaelthaler - 01-14-2018

(01-08-2018, 05:31 PM)NHpro Wrote:
(10-17-2015, 06:32 PM)Brindlecat Wrote: About 6 years ago I started using ClearWire, now known as Clear. It was purchased by Sprint and Sprint is now ending it.  In a few weeks I will be without an internet connection.  Three years ago I cancelled Comcast TV service and bought an indoor digital antenna, and have been mostly  satisfied with over-the-air broadcast plus Netflix and Amazon.  Without an internet connection, I won't have access to Netflix or Amazon.  For several weeks, I have been trying to find a new internet provider that is NOT Comcast.  In my town, Frontier and Comcast are the 2 cable providers, but Frontier has told me that I am not in their service area, or whatever phrase it is that means that Comcast has a monopoly on condos and apartments.

DSL from the phone company is going to be your only other option. I can't recommend satellite.

Comcast is EVIL.
  Cell phone data service is NOT meant to replace home internet.  You would reach your limit in a few days.
   You can ask Netflix what speeds are recommended for various quality of TV streams.  SD is probably 1Mbps,  HD 3 or 4Mbps.

RE: Internet without cable - garymo - 01-19-2018

Would the end of net neutrality have any affect on us cord cutters? I was just concerned and if a VPN Netflix would be of any help in this regard? https://www.reviewsdir.com/netflix-vpn/